4.07.2008

"Love"/Hate


Dave and I decided we wanted to add some fun new things to our life and tennis is one of them, and as excited as we were about starting we almost forgot about our first lesson! So late Friday night we rushed to Target to get some rackets and balls. Since I know nothing about the sport, I didn't have anyway to judge which racket was better than the other, so after looking at all my options, I made my decision based on color! I now have a cute pink tennis racket!!

Our first lesson was Saturday and it was a lot of fun. My forearm and wrist are a little sore, but all in all it was really fun! We learned how to hold the racket, the correct way to swing, where to stand, and how to move around the court. We also learned some new vocabulary. I have a question to those familiar with tennis scoring and the lingo...who the heck made up the word "love"? And how does the word love have any correlation with the meaning ZERO POINTS? Who's idea was it to say that? I really don't like the way it sounds, in fact I feel like an idiot having to saying "love" "love" when you start the game. Or after a point having to say "love", "fifteen", or whatever the score may be. The word just annoys me when used in that context. I guess I can add it to the list of words that I don't like to hear....like panties, (ahhh, sorry for even mentioning it!!) or when people pronounce the letter H silently,... like Uge for huge or Uman for human....hello!! THE H IS NOT SILENT! That really BUGS ME!

Dave and I went to the tennis courts later that day to play and I pleaded with him to say, zero in place of "love", and being the sweetie that he is, he complied.....and I really liked it better that way!
I don't mean to be overly dramatic, but its just the way it makes me feel when I hear it.....kinda like the screeching sound Styrofoam can make, or getting the chills just thinking about cotton balls....

When I got to thinking about it, I thought...maybe this "love" word bothers me because I have never played tennis before and am not used to hearing it...NO, No No, NO....it bugs me because it is silly, makes no sense, and is really really stupid....ha ha ok just kidding..kinda, I'm not THAT bugged by it, ....It is just something I won't participate in saying! :)

3 comments:

Katie said...

I share your distaste of the word panties, as well as the word nostril. I get uncomfortable just saying it.

corrine said...

hahaha I TOTALLY know what you mean about the word annoyances. oh and sorry about the snoop dogg article - we seriously believed it at first! then when I found out I just left it on my blog, didn't want to spoil the fun! anyway, I love it that you guys are playing tennis together. so cute!

Miller's said...

This is funny because honestly I have never thought about how weird it is that love is used that way but now that you mention it. It really is so weird.